5-Reasons-Why-Your-JavaScript-SEO-is-Bad.png

5 Reasons Why Your JavaScript SEO is Bad

14 May 2019

Transcript

If there’s one thing that’s certain about the web, it’s that the era of plain HTML is over and we’re living in a JavaScript world. Whether you’re a developer or a website owner, this is something you should be paying attention to.

So if you want to use JavaScript to your advantage with ranking your website in Google, then you need to make sure you’re not making any of these 5 mistakes.

1. Not checking if Google can render your pages

The URL inspection tool (formerly Google Fetch and Render) is a great free tool that allows you to check if Google can properly render your pages.

Are you using the URL Inspection tool for spotting JavaScript errors? Just ONE error in the JavaScript code can stop rendering for Google, which in turn makes Google unable to index your entire content.

2. Not checking whether Google indexed your content

It’s not enough to just see if Google can render your website properly. You have to make sure Google has properly indexed your content. The best option is to use the “site:” command whenever possible.

And check different page templates to make sure your entire website works fine.

And don’t stop at just one page!

3.  Blocking JavaScript files by mistake

If Google cannot render your page properly, make sure you didn’t block important JavaScript files for Googlebot in your robots.txt file.

It’s impossible for Google to render JavaScript if it’s not allowed to access it.

If you are in need of a solution to this very problem, click the link to the article in the video description below.

4. Google can’t discover your internal links

There are over 2,000 products in the mobile phone category on Aliexpress.com. Since the mobile Googlebot is able to access only 20 of them, that’s just 1 percent. The remaining 99% of the products are invisible to the mobile Googlebot!

Two things to remember:

  1. Google needs proper <a href> links to discover the URLs on your website.
  2. If your links are added to the DOM only when somebody clicks on a button, Google won’t see it.

5: Google can’t discover content hidden under tabs

A crucial part of every SEO audit is making sure that Google can see content hidden under tabs. This is especially true for many e-commerce stores where their content is hidden under tabs like: product descriptions, opinions, related products.

Use your Chrome Developers Tools and under the “Network” tab make sure the “disable cache” option is enabled.

Wrapping Up

These are just a few common mistakes you can avoid to get better search rankings. Make sure to check Onely’s blog for more specific tips and tutorials on how to achieve stellar results.

More from our blog

Sorry to interrupt, but …

Onely uses cookies to provide you with a better website experience. Read our Privacy Policy for more details.